• Kottar is located at the heart of Nagercoil City
• It is the most important commercial center and wholesale market of the district. From here the goods are traded throughout the district.
• Kottar has been a major trading center since the time of Chera, Chola, Pandya kingdoms and has reference in Sangam Literature too.
• In ancient times, the place was known as
Thirukottaru, Kottaranammudicholapuram, different names at different times.
• Chettitheru vinayagar Temple, St. Xavier’s Temple, Satavadhani Seykuthambipavalar Manimandapam
are some of the important places in the Kottar area.
• The Nagercoil Junction Railway Station is also located in proximity to the Kottar Market.